Friday, February 05, 2010

"I Relate"

This morning I had breakfast with a friend that I’ve been able to connect with more deeply, as our sons became better friends. I’ve known her for a long time but am just now REALLY getting to know her.

I’ve always liked and admired her. She is recognized at church as a creative, generous, and compassionate person who has been through a lot but has clearly allowed God to use it for good. We had a few things in common before today—teenage sons, a love of baking, I’m visually impaired and her husband happens to work with the blind. But today we discovered similarities that left both of as laughing with relief as we said . . .
“I do that too!”
“I have the same fear!”
“I thought I was the only one who worried about that.”
“Yes, I’ll pray for you about that because I totally relate.”

When I got home, I thanked God, not only for a great time of fellowship, but also for the reminder, that others share my insecurities, fears, and needs for encouragement. I am not the only one with a deep need to please, fear of rejection, or tendency to let past hurts affect the way I react today. Best of all, allowing these areas of weakness to come out allowed someone else to see that she wasn’t alone either. Now we can pray for, support, and love one another in ways that other friends might not be able to, because they haven’t been where we are (or can’t admit it yet).

Thank God for sending friends into your life who understand you like no one else can, because they can relate to your fears, frustrations, insecurities, or questions. If you haven’t found such a friend yet, ask God to bring one your way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! I am having fun reading blogs and found your little piece of the web world. It is amazing how someone will seem "Perfect" to me but then I find out they are just as insecure as me. Thank God for friends!!!

Many blessings to you!

-Alisa Hope